Thursday, April 5, 2012

Organizing My Mind

The urge to write is returning! But, as usual, it seems to be accompanied by the need to get current tasks out of the way. And those current tasks take a level of imagination and time. Neither of which can be spared easily.

It’s never simple to organize time. Regardless of if you sit and take a break or you rush until you are completely burnt out, time steadily ticks. It seems that each day I end up being asked by my wife if I’m ready to watch the latest episode of whichever show we are currently watching (more on our list of favorite TV later) and I have to pause and reflect. Where did the day go! I know I spent some time being productive, especially working for the Marine Corps, but honestly…I feel I’m sitting at a raging river trying to hold on to a handful of the water. Just when I think I have a handle on it, time—just like water—slips through my fingers and is gone with the rapids. I then am left with the thought, why didn’t I write anything today? Why am I having troubles getting my mind to sweep out the dust and cobwebs and get things moving? Then I think of time I spent developing this script or creating that page because I could or wanted to try and make something work.

Time and imagination. I need to allot both equally across my tasks, because so far, I’ve focused on primarily web and not having any stories written is getting to be depressing. So I organize in an attempt to sway myself to actually write.

The term “herding cats” comes to mind each time I try to think of prioritizing my list of things to do. It seems just when I think I have an idea of how to put time to each, my brain goes haywire and starts thinking of other things that I can try too! “Oooo…try making a page that does this, because it’s so much easier to do!” And I grab hold of the hand of insanity for a wild ride. Because, hey, it is easier for me to create some strange piece of code that automates this or makes a banner do this or that on someone’s website.

In an attempt to counter this problem of mine, I’m now relying a little more on technology to kick myself in the ass constantly. I am using this program (remains nameless because I’m not endorsing it, just seeing if it helps) that will help me put all my happy little things to do in categories and folder and whatnot so I can open it and go “hmmm, I should try and do this next.” This happy little program will also follow me on my phone, which up until now has been used mainly to play Angry Birds Space, or 3D Bowling. Now if I get some crazed idea while I’m out smoking, I can open the program and type it into a note to remind myself to work on it later.

Here’s hoping it works, because a writer who isn’t writing…well it’s never happy. If I’m not sharing my insanity with you, my readers, then I’m the only one insane. And what kind of world would that be? No fun at all if you ask me.

Hoping you all have a great weekend,
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment